Mobile Marketing Information
- Studies by Nielsen Mobile indicate 97 percent of mobile subscribers will read an SMS (text) message within 15 minutes of receiving it; 84 percent will respond within 1 hour.
- Average Mobile Marketing campaign response rates are typically 12 – 15 percent (as opposed to direct mail which averages 2 – 3 percent); some companies are seeing response rates as high as 60 percent plus!
- Mobile marketing is about much more than sending text messages, there are MANY effective ways Mobile technology can be utilized to grow your business such as: QR codes, Mobile commerce, Mobile websites, using bluetooth and GPS technology, and much, much more! The options are really exciting, and the opportunities are plentiful!
- Mobile marketing is NOT just to target teens and twenty-somethings; prime purchasers in the 35 – 44 and 45 – 54 age brackets are also strongly embracing the use of Mobile.
- When the Red Cross recently used Mobile to raise funds for Haiti (in $10 increments), almost $5 million was raised in less than 48 hours; to-date, more than $30 million has been raised – all via Mobile.
- While 65 percent of email is spam, less than 10 percent of SMS is.
- A recent study by Compete.com indicates that almost 40 percent of consumers are extremely interested in receiving mobile coupons for a wide variety of services / purchases!
- Alcatel study- 74% of North Americans believe mobile ads should be interest and preference based
- 27% of U.S. mobile web users have clicked on a mobile ad
- Mobile coupon redemption is 10x that of traditional coupons
- B2B mobile mktg will grow from $26M in 2009 to $106M in 2014
- 53% of small biz owners in recent study interested in being able to send text msg reminders to customers
Consumer Mobile Use Trends
- What do consumers use their mobiles for? 1. calls; 2. SMS; 3. mobile Web; 4. apps; 5. games; 6. social networking; 7. music.
- A Motorola study conducted during the 2009 holiday shopping season indicated that: worldwide, 51 percent of shoppers used their mobile device to help make an in-store purchase decision.
- A study by Facebook indicates, of Facebook’s 500 million users, more than 100 million of them are using mobile phones to manage their account.
- Studies show that 84 percent of mobile phone users keep their device within 10 feet of them at all times.
- A ComScore study of U.S. subscribers thru March of this year indicated: 63.7 percent used text messaging on their mobile device, 30.1 percent used browsers via mobile, 28.6 percent downloaded applications, and 18.7 percent accessed blogs and social media via mobile.
- Over 20 million mobile users text in votes on American Idol each week the show airs.
- Industry estimates indicate that by 2013 the U.S. will top 100% per capita penetration of mobile phone use.
- There are over 4 billion people worldwide using mobile phones vs. 1.1 billion using computers
Mobile Industry Info
- Bank of America and Visa are currently testing mobile payments for consumers in the New York market; the test runs thru the end of 2010. Additionally, Bank of America/VIA, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Discover Financial Services are also working together on a joint mobile payment system.
- Demand for mobile websites is expected to exceed PC accessible websites sometime in 2011; if you don’t have one, you need one very soon!
- Worldwide sales of SmartPhones increased 24 percent to 172.4 million units in 2009 according to Gartner, Inc.
- The total number of mobile phone subscriptions worldwide has reached 4.6 billion and is expected to increase to 5 billion in 2010 according to the U.N. Telecommunications Agency.
- While traditional media has declined over last few years, consumer internet use on mobile phones has increased over 1200%